Culture and Psychiatry Day
Trauma & Resilience Among Syrian Refugees
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Reflect on and identify common attitudes of Canadian Society towards refugee communities
- Describe how cultural context shapes the experience of trauma, foster resilience, and facilitates recovery at the individual and community level among Syrian refugees.
- Apply the Cultural Formulation and Cultural Formulation Interview to assess patients from diverse backgrounds.
- Integrate principles of cultural competence, cultural safety and trauma-informed care for diverse populations.
Dr. Ghayda Hassan, University du Quebec a Montreal and Dr. Laurence Kirmayer, McGill University
Dr. Salam El-Majzoub, McGill University
- 1:30 - 2:00: First Keynote (Ghayda Hassan)
- 2:00 - 2:10: Q&A
- 2:10 - 2:30: Second Keynote (Laurence Kirmayer)
- 2:30 - 2:45: Q&A
- 2:45 - 3:15: Small group Interactions
- 3:15 - 3:30: Break
- 3:30 - 3:50: Resident Presentation (Salam El-Majzoub)
- 3:50 - 4:10: Panel Discussion (Ghayda & Laurence)
- 4:10 - 4:30: Q&A